“Blue Wave” or Little Ripple?

Well, it’s certainly been an interesting campaign season so far, culminating in the Commiefornia primary election on June 5.

For those unfamiliar with my writings, I’m a conservative who’s not a member of any political party; an “independent”, which in this state means I’m officially “Decline to State” (DTS).

The hottest local race has been for the 25th District seat for the US House of Representatives currently held by Steve Knight. Arrayed against him in the Primary were Katie Hill, Jess Phoenix, Bryan Caforio, and Mary Pallant, all from the “other” party.

This race has been a focus of intense interest even up to the national level because it’s viewed as being one of those critical to the Dem/socialists’ hopes to swing control of the House back to their party. This district went for Clinton in 2016, and even though Knight won re-election that year, easily trouncing opponent Caforio, it’s viewed as “vulnerable”.

The results are in and Knight handily won top spot in this state’s bizarre “jungle primary” with more votes than all of his opponents combined. I wonder how “vulnerable” we’ll be seen to be after that. His opponent in the General Election will be local gal Katie Hill. This time around Caforio couldn’t even win in the Primary. I wonder if he’ll be out house-hunting for a new locale to which he can again carpetbag for the 2020 election after such a humiliating defeat.

During the course of the campaign my mailbox was inundated with campaign literature from absolutely everybody who was running for anything, presumably because I’m a DTS and eligible to vote for anybody in any party, or at least might be interested in doing so. I don’t know why; maybe that’s the case for everybody.

No matter. The point is that I saw it all, and of all the candidates running for everything, Caforio ran the most negative campaign out there. There were days I’d get multiple mailers from his campaign on the same day! And invariably they were attempted hatchet jobs on one or both of his strongest opponents, Knight and Hill. It reeked of desperation and extremism.

It worked out for him as well as it deserved to.

I believe the leftists have misread the tea leaves as they pertain to this district. Yes, it went for Ms. Pant Suit in 2016. Yes, there are more registered Dems than GOPers. But there are also more DTSers like me than GOPers, too, and many of them are also conservatives like me who have left the GOP because they’ve lost all respect for that party and its eternal ineptitude. But that doesn’t mean we’ve magically turned into lefties. I know several fellow DTSers who simply wouldn’t pull the lever for Trump in 2016, but will happily support Knight this year just as they did in 2016.

I congratulate both Steve Knight and Katie Hill on their victories in the Primary. That having been said, I throw my support to Knight without reservation. His policy positions are far more in line with my beliefs than his opponent’s are, and just as importantly it’s essential that the GOP retain control of the House of Representatives. Even putting aside the fact that I disagree with most, if not all, of Hill’s positions, can you see her – a very junior Representative – standing up against the likes of Nancy Pelosi?

For that matter, how does this sound to you: Madame Speaker Nancy Pelosi?

Do you want to go down that road again?

21 comments on ““Blue Wave” or Little Ripple?

1. Slow Cowboy says:

As a member of the GOP yet, I certainly am glad to see that result. I think the GOP will hold Its own in November. One thing that the media and the left is under appreciates is the motivation of Trump supporters. There are far more of them who want to keep Dems out than they realize.

But CA has a strange system. The top two get in, right, regardless of party. Looks like the GOP is going to be ok…

We shall see. And good luck to Knight!

Yeah, we have the strangest primary system ever, devised by our Marxist rulers in an attempt to cut GOPers out of the General Elections altogether.

2. captbogus2 says:

I was following the California governer’s primaries and was really surprised at the out come. The little woman thinks California conservatives should be able to take back the state. I have to tell her there are more Democrat voters in LA and Bay Area than there are conservatives in the rest of the state and most of the rest of the state are conservative. Some VERY conservative. On a bike trip I took back roads from Redding over to the coast. I’d love to live up in that part of the country. People were okay, too. We stopped in a place called, “Hayfork” because there was a bar . We went in and the locals were all sitting at the bar, ash trays out, smoking, drinking their beer and enjoying the evening. My pal (who is a smoker and was admonished about smoking when we went through Sacremento) said something like, “I thought it was illegal to smoke in a bar in California” and a local answered, “This is our bar and we’ll do damned well what we want.” He looked at me and said, “I like this bar.”

LOL!

Yeah, Buck, in the urban areas of Commiefornia the actual conservative is a rare bird. That’s why I call my blog “The View from the Island”, because when I started it Santa Clarita was an island of conservatism in the sea of leftism that is LA County.

It pretty much still is, though we’re getting our influx of socialists, without a doubt. Like I wrote in a previous column, they’re like evil termites.

But we ain’t dead yet. Just look at my last couple of columns about the “sanctuary state” BS.

I see the same negativity out here on the Right Coast. The left has nothing to sell anyone so the only thing they can say is that they are anti-Trump. People aren’t stupid. The 8 years of Batears were flat out miserable.

Like you, I don’t see any blue wave coming. It’s quite possible the opposite will occur.

Yep. I don’t think “I hate Trump” is going to resonate with people who are doing better financially now that Trump’s in office, but that’s all the lefties have.

At this rate, he’ll be able to cruise to re-election in 2010.

• captbogus2 says:

I just wish he’d go out and campaign against the RINO incumbents in the primaries this year….

Maybe he will. It’s still early.

Right now he’s dealing with the socialists at the economic conference and Kim from N. Korea.

He backed Cox out here for Governor, and Cox made it to #2 in our “jungle primary”, which is an excellent result.

I think he may be leery of alienating some folks in the next Congress, and there’s some wisdom in that. He’s already got his hands full dealing with that asshat Ryan, and he doesn’t need even more hostility in the next session, I’d think.

I guess we’ll see… I’m just spitballin’.

4. garnet92 says:

You’ve identified two words I never want to hear combined again, ‘Speaker Pelosi.’

That ‘jungle primary’ method is one obviously put in place by a majority party to eliminate any chance of the minority party having a chance in general elections, BUT it could bite them in the butt this year, right? It looks like there are a few Republican candidates that (at least) have a fighting chance, right?

That means that the California legislature will rush to ‘fix’ that lapse as soon as they legally can.

They can’t have those pesky Republicans fielding a candidate that could win statewide office – that would be a no-no.

Heh heh heh…

You guessed it. There’s ALREADY talk about how they don’t like it, since it kinda blew up in their faces and there’s actually a GOPer in the final race for Governor.

5. captbogus2 says:

What’s his chances IYHO???

Normally, I’d say pretty damned slim. But I think there are a couple of interesting variables this year.

First, in November there’s a very high profile proposition on the ballot, the repeal of the gas tax passed last year. Repeal has a ton of support, and will probably pass easily. If it is repealed, it’s a huge slap at Sacramento Dem/socialists.

Noisesome is a really, really annoying and completely out-of-the-park leftist. He appeals to San Francisco radicals and other extremists, but not so much to the Feinstein wing of their party. I have to wonder how much enthusiasm there’ll be for him on the left. He certainly did NOT sweep the primary.

Guns are a big issue again this election year, and that always bites the left in the ass when they make it one.

I think voter enthusiasm may well determine the outcome. Now that Noisesome’s the candidate, once he starts campaigning on his radical left agenda of “Medicare for all” single-payer insurance in the state and all kinds of gun confiscation BS, he’s going to really motivate the right and at the same time turn off a bunch of the less-radical lefties.

We’ll see. I think he still has the edge, but I suspect it’s going to be a lot closer race than most people think right now. I think Cox has a chance.

6. Gunny G says:

Brian,

Awesome write up. I think Cox is going to upset the Dem’s apple cart!

Do me a favor and let Chris know that I am in FB prison for another 24 days! haha

I sure hope this is an omen…..

8. Hopeful says:

I almost (well, not really), wish I moved out of Cali AFTER the elections, but now that I moved, I have to do my part to keep my new state RED. However, nothing would make me happier than to see an upset or two in my former state 🙂 . Keep up the good fight, Brian!

LOL!

Thanks, Hopeful. You just KNOW I will.

It must be nice not to have to put up with leftie lunacy all the time…. SLACKER!!!!

😀

• Hopeful says:

Yes, and in fact, I will be joining the “Conservative” club in the community in which I now live. It is so nice to live in an area with like-minded people, one where I am no longer fearful of voicing my opinions!

Well, that’s one of the reasons I love the SCV. But I know you’re talking about a larger area than just a small city.