After-Action Report: Mission Accomplished

As promised in my last column, Tuesday night (May 8) I attended our City Council meeting at which the topic of joining the federal law suit against Commiefornia’s “Sanctuary State” legislation was the main item on the agenda.

Our Council meetings start at 6 PM, but there was a lot of noise from both sides of the issue (thanks for the heads up, Facebook) that there were going to be activists brought in to flood the meeting, so I decided to get there early, arriving at 4 PM. True enough, by the time I arrived there was already quite a crowd, which continued to grow, representing both sides of the debate.

The doors opened at 5:15 and the mass flooded in. It was definitely SRO (standing room only) in the main chamber, and an overflow room with live video feed was opened across the hall, which was also filled to capacity. In fact, the main chamber where I sat was doubtless in violation of fire safety codes by exceeding legal capacity.

There were a couple of hundred speakers who’d filled out the cards needed to address the Council, according to Mayor Weste’s estimate, and statements went on for several hours. I’ve been to, and spoken at, many Council meetings over the years, and I’ve never seen anything like it before.

Emotions ran high, as was to be expected, but overall the over-capacity crowd behaved itself, and Mayor Weste did a great job of keeping things running in an orderly fashion. My turn to speak came at about 8:30, and if you’re interested, you can see it here:

I show up at the 1:58:45 mark.

The Council ended up voting unanimously to join the Federal lawsuit against the state by filing an amicus brief, as well as sending a position paper to other elected representatives at the state and federal levels.

I know there are many – primarily, if not exclusively, on the left – who will denigrate this action as a meaningless gesture and in some respects that’s true. Will last night’s Council vote change one single thing about what takes place in this city? Not even a smidgen.

But its symbolic importance is huge, and symbols have meaning. After all, what is our flag but a symbol that stands for a country and its set of values? Or a crucifix, or Star of David, or Red Cross? They’re all symbols that convey some meaning.

The same holds true for last night’s Council vote. It’s a clear signal that not all of hard-left-blue Los Angeles County is on board the socialist train that is this state. That’s a very strong statement to make at a very nominal cost, a few hours of the legal staff’s time.

For me personally, it was also hugely symbolic. It means that this community, in which I chose to make my home after having spent what’s now the first half of my life as a nomad living quite literally all over the globe, is still the one I fell in love with, and still represents the values I hold dear.

The Council vote was very gratifying. My thanks to all of them.

10 comments on “After-Action Report: Mission Accomplished

Kudos Brian. Kudos to your City Council for doing the right thing.

Although symbolic, your elected officials chose the rule of law and the welfare of citizens over the illegal invaders and the coddling thereof.

Stories like this give me hope that there are still thinking adults in our country.

Thanks, Nox, and yep… Props to the Council.

That’s why I call Santa Clarita “The Island”. Proven once again.

Huge kudos to you Brian and to your city council. It’s good to see another CA town buck Moonbeam and his lefty policies. Your bakery example was great and I bet few people realized what the law really did – you probably opened some eyes. And good on getting the Kate Steinle zinger in there too.

I see more and more towns jumping on this bandwagon and that’s a good thing, but one of the side effects could be that the illegals steer clear of these towns. They’ll move to the areas that still coddle them, which are already over-saturated.

Kathy, thanks for the kind words. I appreciate them.

You actually watched the video! Interestingly enough, I believe I’m the only one who discussed that aspect of the “sanctuary state”, which is sad, because it’s actually the worst part of the policy, as it criminalizes regular civilian citizens. But the publicity has all surrounded the part that restricts inter-agency cooperation. Bummer.

Hopefully the Council will hit on my issue in their amicus brief.

Thanks again!

3. captbogus2 says:

Well done. Remember Concord Bridge was not a significant place at one time, either…

4. MJP7200 says:

Good news. I saw some statistics, maybe on Tucker?, listing like over 400 cities and states that have sanctuary policies. I don’t buy that number, because it seems like duplicating numbers. But, I would be curious to see the numbers of states and towns that object to sanctuary policies.

Anyway, this issue, I think, is a farce, and will lead to far worse situations if it is not taken care of soon.

5. garnet92 says:

Good on you, Brian, you did a great job of making your position known to the Council and I did note that you were rewarded with applause for your effort. I’m reassured to know that the Council voted to join the Federal lawsuit against the sanctuary state position. It’s good to hear that there are still reasonable, intelligent patriots residing in California outside of the blue mega-cities.

I’m hoping to see a snowball effect where more and more jurisdictions join in opposing the sanctuary state concept and allow the federal authorities to do the job assigned to them by the Constitution.