Evil Termites

Because our gasoline is so very expensive (due to gross over-taxation) I usually gas up at the independent station at the intersection of Magic Mountain Parkway and Bouquet. While I was there the other day filling the tank on my happily un-PC gas-guzzling SUV, I noticed a billboard – a sign – on the south side of the intersection. It read:

“CHOOSE CHILDREN OVER GUNS

Our Congressman Steve Knight Has an A from the NRA

Call Him and Ask Why”

Below that was a line naming the sponsors of the sign, a local Dem/socialist activist group.

When I moved here in 1984, like many people one of my main motivations was to escape the leftist swamp of LA city. The Santa Clarita Valley was an oasis of conservatism. Pickup trucks abounded. My wife’s BMW was a rarity. Cows grazed on the grounds next to College of the Canyons, a common sight when one took the Valencia Boulevard off ramp from I-5. Where the mall is now was nothing but vast onion fields from which hot air balloons launched on Sunday mornings if the wind was calm.

If you’ve ever wondered where Cinema Drive got its name, there was a small multiplex theater located on the intersection with Valencia Boulevard, with a little Sutter’s Mill restaurant on the other side of the street, one of the very few eateries in the area.

We were regularly mocked and ridiculed by the nabobs in LA, particularly those in tony enclaves like the Westside and Beverly Hills. “Redneck cowboys” and “hicks” was a pretty common theme.

Meantime, we “hicks” were enjoying a “small town” quality of life that attracted other like-minded people, and so our valley grew in population, which drew further development in the form of businesses relocating to the area, and amenities – such as the mall and restaurants – opening, further enhancing the area’s desirability, and drawing evermore people eager to enjoy the area’s ambience.

Of course, some of those people happened to be some of the same folks who previously scorned and mocked us, and recently included a Westside lawyer who carpetbagged his way here just in time to qualify himself to run for Congress as our local Representative. But I’m sure that was all a big coincidence… right?

It’s always been interesting to me how leftists move to conservative areas to enjoy a better lifestyle than the place they’re leaving behind, but then try to impose the same political agenda that turned their prior home into the very swamp they’re trying to escape.

They’re like evil termites. They wreck the home they live in, then fly off to find some new home to wreck.

Anyway, I decided to check further, and confirmed that the dreaded NRA did, indeed, give Knight a 93% back in 2016, which sounds like an “A” to me. Great! Even more reason to vote for him (as if there was any doubt to begin with)!

I have no idea why our local lefties think this is somehow a negative. Do they think the NRA is some faceless, shadowy, monolithic conspiracy of evil villains scheming to somehow subvert the will of the people while sacrificing little kids to their nefarious agenda? A bunch of solitary old childless misanthropes sitting around in their bathrobes plotting to cache an armory in the dream of overthrowing the government? Illicit gunrunners and covert international weapons dealers swindling their way to vast riches?

What nonsense. Time for a reality check. It’s an organization of millions of like-minded everyday people, some of whom are probably your neighbors, who think that the Second Amendment literally means they have a right to own guns; who have families – including kids – of their own; who actually believe they have the right to have the tools necessary to protect their kids and family; and who want to share the shooting sport experience with those family members, as hard as that might be for leftists to grasp.

And as far as I know, not one single NRA member has ever been involved in any mass shootings anywhere.

The whole meme of “CHOOSE CHILDREN OVER GUNS” creates a false dichotomy that should more believably and accurately be stated as “CHOOSE CHILDREN AND GUNS”.

These election-year anti-gun jihads usually don’t work out too well for the left outside of urban metro areas. Just ask Al Gore and John Kerry. If there’s anything that can motivate those gun owners who are usually pretty lazy about voting, this is it.

As Napoleon Bonaparte reportedly said, “Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake”. I hope that sign stays right there through November.

26 comments on “Evil Termites

Great post, Brian.

Can’t you just hear all the soccer moms in California fretting upon seeing this billboard? “Oh no! Why are the redneck meanies picking guns over our poor little children? Whaaaaaaa.”

The false choice between guns and children is a classic example of the way the leftists dishonestly twist the debate to secure the unfair advantage for themselves, because cheating is in their blood and because it works on simple-minded Democrats. Oh, and when the so-called fact-checkers count the politicians’ lies, this type of dishonesty gets a free pass.

I’ve likened the liberals to locusts in the past, but termites is just as fitting.

Thanks, CW.

They are definitely relentless, but I think this time it’s gonna bite ’em in the ass, especially HERE!

Santa Clarita is notorious with the leftards in LA city and county for being this conservative holdout, and rightfully so. That’s what I was referring to about the carpetbagger. He’s a numbnuts named Bryan Caforio, a Westside ambulance chaser, who moved out here in 2016 barely in the nick of time to qualify to run for Congress from this district. He’s funded by the state Dem apparatus, who’ve targeted this district to be “turned”.

He got his ass whooped in 2016, and hopefully we’ll see a rerun in November.

BTW, I think cockroaches would be yet another fitting metaphor!

2. slowcowboy says:

Brian– What’s up old friend? I fully understand and get this post. This is exactly what I face in Laramie, a college town about 20 miles north of the CO border.

Hey, pard!

Damn, I hope you can choke it in its crib.

Just think of how many lefties there’d be if they didn’t spend so much time aborting their offspring!

• slowcowboy says:

yeah, I’ve joined GOP leadership at the local and state level here just to do that. We’ve become complacent, that is conservatives, in WY as it is so darn Republican. All too often, though, being Republican here is simply expedience because Dems can’t do a thing as a general rule.

We just had our state convention this weekend. Had an interesting 2nd Amend. conflict with some folks carrying on the University of Wyoming campus which disallows it. Some were cited for carrying. We will see where it goes…

Interesting….

That’s where we sometimes shoot our own selves in the foot: consciously ignoring legitimate restrictions on carry rights, as if it’s some form of civil disobedience, when the right way to change it is through the legislature. All it does is give the termites ammo, and make us look irresponsible.

• slowcowboy says:

Yes, it will be, and I tend to agree. I get where they are coming from (WY is a strong guns rights state, if you hadn’t guessed) but a degree of civility and respect goes a long way. And the left is already crying about it.

Yeah. I’m all for gun rights, but I agree. The civility and respect are the keys, as well as enacting things properly, through the legislature. Otherwise we (they) end up looking just like leftist crybabies.

• slowcowboy says:

That last line is precisely it: we look no better than they do.

3. captbogus2 says:

Wow, BB. I’m glad you’ve come back to the NRA. I figgered you would all along. You just had a brain fart. That’s all.

Well, Buck, I haven’t come back to the NRA. I cancelled my Life Membership in 2008 when they endorsed that idiot McCain, and haven’t rejoined.

That having been said, it’s Knight I’m endorsing in the column, and gun rights.

But I’m still a Life Member of the Second Amendment Foundation, Gun Owners of America, and the CCRKBA.

• I’m a member of GOA, myself, NRA compromises too much.

Decades of tax-payers being forced to subsidize immigration (demographically benefits Democrats) & Leftist-dominated schools (K-University) along w/decades of Conservatives settling for ‘moderate’, back-stabbing Republicans are producing their inevitable fruits.

Note to BoomerGen Conservatives: you don’t beat radical Leftism by constantly retreating & compromising for 50 years & by incorporating the entirety of the Progressive Era (and even many major planks of the Communist Manifesto) into your own ideology.

Right-leaning people of my generation are being left in a terrible position by our parents & grandparents. The really frustrating/tragic thing to me is how Conservatives & the GOP missed a golden opportunity in 2008 & 2012 (with Ron Paul) to inject some much-needed youth/energy into their ranks. I don’t think most of you realize how many young people got turned-off by how awfully they were received by BoomerCons–who ended up siding w/the absolutely awful McCain (we thought you were anti-immigration?) & Romney (we thought you were anti-Obamacare?) over someone who should’ve been seen as a dream candidate (Ron Paul) by folks who believe in small govt.

Hi, Jennifer.

Welcome to The Island, and thanks for that absolutely great comment.

4. Jan Uberstine says:

I think a lot of people are waking up and moving out, which is discussed in this Hill article today:http://thehill.com/opinion/finance/384536-the-great-exodus-out-of-americas-blue-cities

Because I am one of the people moving out of this state, I can confirm the Hill writer’s comments about moving trucks being pretty expensive out of California, and I can already see one downside to this mass migration as the new house we purchased in October has already raised its base price for new buyers by 30K.

I just hope that all these people moving out of the Blue states won’t be anything like the some of the more vocal Democratic voices here, who admit they moved from their previous Liberal havens to SCV for a “better quality of life” that they are now working so hard to destroy.

I wish the best to you and the other conservatives here in SCV. Keep up the good fight, and rest assured, I will never give up fighting for conservative values in my new State.

Jan, good to hear from you, as always, and I wish you the best on your relocation. Hopefully, the termites won’t follow you THERE, too.

The upside of the price increase for you is that you’d already bought your home, so you’re getting equity right away. It pays to be ahead of the curve.

As I’ve said many times, if not for my daughter and her family, I’d have been gone from this sorry state over a decade ago, living happily in Las Vegas, and taking my then-legally-owned machine gun out to the desert to shoot.

5. garnet92 says:

Great column, Brian.

It struck several nerves in me and prompted some thought about what my response might be. The multiple peeves boiled down to an overall summation as to why the left is so often wrong on so many issues: a lack of genuineness.

You might say that they’re addicted to false dichotomies since that is one of their recurrent plot themes. Too often, lazy thinkers hear the left’s rhetoric and, presented with a dichotomy of two choices, one obviously good and warm and fuzzy, while the other is abhorrent, accept the one that sides with the children, grandparents, or some other sympathetic icon – which leads to a favorable choice benefiting the left.

Their arguments are never fact 1 versus fact 2, they’re always an inaccurate depiction versus an out-and-out lie, carefully crafted to elicit a desired response.

In short, nothing that the left says or does is genuine.

If there was any doubt in that statement, just look at the honesty and character evident in the top positions in the DoJ and FBI and intelligence agencies. In fact, the 2016 election is a perfect representation of my point. Where is the genuineness in Hillary Clinton – is there ANY? On the other hand, even with his lies, buffoonish demeanor and warts, Donald Trump is, primarily, genuine. What you see is what you get.

Folks used to say, “As California goes, so goes the nation.” Unfortunately, there’s a lot of truth in that as we Texans are being overrun with aliens from California who are intent to turn our red state blue. We’ve already lost Austin and the city management of Houston and Dallas. I pray we can survive.

Give me an honest Texas redneck any day over a metrosexual academic alien from California – one is genuine – the other is as solid as a fart.

Thanks for the kind words, Garnet, and the terrific comment.

I couldn’t agree more with what you wrote. For lefties, everything boils down to the emotional elements, rather than facts, which usually prove pesky and inconvenient, and usually contradict their position. That’s why they always brand their opponents with personal insults; they can’t counter on a factual basis.

I’m actually working on a book, and that’s one of the central themes. As you note, we here in Commiefornia are on the front lines in this battle. That’s what I’m writing about.

• MJP7200 says:

Slowcowboy here. Sorry, changed my user name. But what kind of book? Would love a chance to read it.

Why the name change?

The book’s going to be political in nature, of course. Some of it will be previous columns, mixed with fresh original material.

I’ve had a few people tell me I should do it, so I decided to go ahead. Why not? I’m retired and sure have the time. I’m having a blast writing it! I’ll let you know when I submit it for publication.

• MJP7200 says:

Name change is to be less anonymous. I figure if I want to do something like you’re doing, need to be more transparent.

Also started a new site, thedigressor.com, so there is an element of continuity there, as well.

Sounds interesting re your book. When I think about what I want to do with my life, its more in that realm than anything else, so you are inspiring me to move forward. I look forward to checking it out.

Well, hey, thanks for the heads up about your blog! I just went there and read your stuff. I like it, and hope you don’t mind, but added your link to my Blog Roll.

And thanks for the kind words about the upcoming book. It’s still a few months out, I think, but coming along. I’ll keep you posted.

6. MJP7200 says:

Thanks. I appreciate that, and do send me info on the book, whenever it comes out. Looking out for your next post.